You are here:

Meteorology (Weather)/Stepping from rain into no rain


Hello, Donald.  Thank you for taking the time to read and answer this question.  What is the name of the phenomenon where you can be standing in rainfall and step out of it, over an invisible line, into no rainfall?  This happened once on my street, directly in front of my house.  It was a wonderful experience!  If there's no name for the phenomenon, what would the line be called where the rain abruptly ends? I'm writing a poem and wish to be specific.  Thanks again!

Hi Dianne

It could be a single cumulus cloud that released a shower of small area directly over you:

Or could be a micro burst:

Or it could be the "shadow effect, which I doubt:  

Meteorology (Weather)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Donald Rosenfeld


Any questions (except private) answered from the 1st grade level on up pertaining to any aspect of Weather. I am a 20 year member of the American Meteorological society and a long time forecaster of eastern United States snow storms and Hurricanes.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]