Where is the majority of the Methodist followers found?

Dear Allison,

I'm not sure if your question is asking about within the United States or around the world?  Also, I"m not sure if you're asking about the United Methodist Church, specifically, or methodism in general.  Since I really can only answer for United Methodists when it comes to membership distribution, I'll attempt to give what answer I can.

The United Methodist Church is a 12 Million member world-wide denomination, with significant membership in Europe, Africa, and Asia, however more than half of its membership (7.85 million) is still found within the United States of America.  Within the USA, the largest concentration of United Methodists is to be found in the Southeastern and South Central regions of the county, with over 1 million Methodists in Texas alone.  Outside the United States, where the church is experiencing significant growth, the largest concentration of members can be found in Africa.  

Rev. Gregory S. Neal

I can answer questions dealing with all issues of United Methodist Doctrine and Wesleyan-Arminian Theology. In particular I can answer questions dealing with the Sacraments and other liturgical and worship-oriented questions. I can also answer questions dealing with the form, structure, and organization of the United Methodist Church and our relationship with other denominations.

I am an ordained United Methodist Elder with more than 20 years of ministerial service experience in the local Church.

I am a Clergy Member in Full Connection and have been a member of the North Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church since 1991. I am a member of the Society of Biblical Literature and the American Academy of Religion. I am also a member of the Emmaus Community, and am currently serving as Senior Spiritual Director for the Dallas Emmaus Community. I am a member of the Order of Saint Luke in the United Methodist Church.

I have my own website:   I have written two books, "Grace Upon Grace" and "Seeking the Shepherd's Arms," both available at and in bookstores.

I have a BA in Religious Studies, History and Russian. I have an M.Div in Systematic Theology and Biblical Studies and a Ph.D in Sacramental Theology and New Testament.

Ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church
Fellow of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist