Methodists/Nominations and Lay Leadership

Rev. Neal, Can the Committee on Nominations and Lay leadership meet in "closed session?". Thank you.

Dear Gloria,

The book of Discipline states that all meetings except for the SPPRC should be open meetings.  See Paragraph 721.

This being said, however, paragraph 721 does go on to stipulate that there may be grounds for holding at least a portion of some meetings as closed.  This is particularly true when information relating to employment or "pastoral care" matters are being considered.

A Nominations and Lay leadership Committee should, therefore, usually be held as an "open" meeting.  However, I can certainly think of times when it might be a good idea to close the meeting to just those who were nominated by Charge Conference to serve on it.  For instance, given the nature of what goes on at Finance and SPPRC, it might be important for Nominations to be aware of the giving-status or confidential trustworthiness of a given candidate for one of these committees (those who are not givers to the church shouldn't be serving on Finance, and those who can't keep confidentialities shouldn't be serving on SPPRC).  In such cases, I would suggest closing the meeting for confidentiality's sake.

Rev. Gregory S. Neal

I can answer questions dealing with all issues of United Methodist Doctrine and Wesleyan-Arminian Theology. In particular I can answer questions dealing with the Sacraments and other liturgical and worship-oriented questions. I can also answer questions dealing with the form, structure, and organization of the United Methodist Church and our relationship with other denominations.

I am an ordained United Methodist Elder with more than 20 years of ministerial service experience in the local Church.

I am a Clergy Member in Full Connection and have been a member of the North Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church since 1991. I am a member of the Society of Biblical Literature and the American Academy of Religion. I am also a member of the Emmaus Community, and am currently serving as Senior Spiritual Director for the Dallas Emmaus Community. I am a member of the Order of Saint Luke in the United Methodist Church.

I have my own website:   I have written two books, "Grace Upon Grace" and "Seeking the Shepherd's Arms," both available at and in bookstores.

I have a BA in Religious Studies, History and Russian. I have an M.Div in Systematic Theology and Biblical Studies and a Ph.D in Sacramental Theology and New Testament.

Ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church
Fellow of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist