Methodists/prr Meeting in the Methodist Church

My question is what members of the church can attend a ppr meeting? If the PPR committee is in the middle of a ppr meeting can a non member that is not on the committee enter the meeting? How many members per house hold can be on the committee & how many family members can be on the committee at one time? Is there a book that you can purchase with all the info about rules, etc about the ppr committee?

Trenda Covan

The Book of Discipline governs the administrative life of the church.  A copy should be in your church's office.  The makeup of the PPR, it's duties and responsibilities can be found in the Book of Discipline.

According to the Book of Discipline, the only persons who may attend duly constituted and legal meetings of the PPR are those who have been elected by the church's Charge Conference to serve on the PPR, along with the Pastor, the Associate Pastor(s) (if any), the Church's Lay Leader and the Church's Lay Member of the Annual Conference.  Additionally, if there are other paid staff, then for any meeting that deals with their job, including evaluations, they have the right to address the SPPR and respond to questions the SPPR members might have.

Paragraph 721 of the Book of Discipline clearly states that all meetings of the S/PPRC are to be closed to non-members of the PPR, and that membership is strictly defined by the Discipline as I outlined  above.  Any and all decisions of the SPPRC must, therefore, take place inside a closed meeting.

It is possible to invite church members in, who wish to address the SPPRC, but during those periods the meeting is not duly constituted and no decisions can be made until the non-member leaves.

I hope this helps.  If you have additional questions, please feel free to write again.

Rev. Gregory S. Neal

I can answer questions dealing with all issues of United Methodist Doctrine and Wesleyan-Arminian Theology. In particular I can answer questions dealing with the Sacraments and other liturgical and worship-oriented questions. I can also answer questions dealing with the form, structure, and organization of the United Methodist Church and our relationship with other denominations.

I am an ordained United Methodist Elder with more than 20 years of ministerial service experience in the local Church.

I am a Clergy Member in Full Connection and have been a member of the North Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church since 1991. I am a member of the Society of Biblical Literature and the American Academy of Religion. I am also a member of the Emmaus Community, and am currently serving as Senior Spiritual Director for the Dallas Emmaus Community. I am a member of the Order of Saint Luke in the United Methodist Church.

I have my own website:   I have written two books, "Grace Upon Grace" and "Seeking the Shepherd's Arms," both available at and in bookstores.

I have a BA in Religious Studies, History and Russian. I have an M.Div in Systematic Theology and Biblical Studies and a Ph.D in Sacramental Theology and New Testament.

Ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church
Fellow of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist