Methodists/Restrictions on Church Officers

Rev. Neal,

Thank you in advance. A two part question.
1. Can one person hold multiple church officer positions?
2. Specifically, can the positions of SPRC Chair and Church Council Chair be held by the same person at the same time?

Dear Stephen:

1.  Can one person hold multiple church officer positions?
 -- Yes, though it is usually suggested that, if possible, people hold only one or two positions at most.  In some cases it may be necessary for one person to hold several jobs.  This is particularly true in smaller churches.

2.  Yes, but it is not advisable.  

Rev. Gregory S. Neal

I can answer questions dealing with all issues of United Methodist Doctrine and Wesleyan-Arminian Theology. In particular I can answer questions dealing with the Sacraments and other liturgical and worship-oriented questions. I can also answer questions dealing with the form, structure, and organization of the United Methodist Church and our relationship with other denominations.

I am an ordained United Methodist Elder with more than 20 years of ministerial service experience in the local Church.

I am a Clergy Member in Full Connection and have been a member of the North Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church since 1991. I am a member of the Society of Biblical Literature and the American Academy of Religion. I am also a member of the Emmaus Community, and am currently serving as Senior Spiritual Director for the Dallas Emmaus Community. I am a member of the Order of Saint Luke in the United Methodist Church.

I have my own website:   I have written two books, "Grace Upon Grace" and "Seeking the Shepherd's Arms," both available at and in bookstores.

I have a BA in Religious Studies, History and Russian. I have an M.Div in Systematic Theology and Biblical Studies and a Ph.D in Sacramental Theology and New Testament.

Ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church
Fellow of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist