Methodists/UMC PPRC Members

Question
Is the Chairman of the Administrative Council a member of the PPRC?

Answer
No ... unless the Chairperson of the Council has been specifically appointed by the Charge Conference as a member of the S/PPRC, they are not a member of the S/PPRC by virtue of their office.

Paragraph 251.2 details the members of the S/PPR, and while the Church's Lay Leader and Lay Member of Annual Conference are listed as being members by virtue of the office they hold, the Council Chair is not included in the list.

Paragraph 251.3g states that the Church Council Chairperson "shall be entitled to attend meetings of all boards and committees of the church unless specifically limited by the Book of Discipline."  However, the Book of Discipline, at Paragraph 721, clearly states that Meetings of the S/PPRC are the be closed meetings.

I hope this is clear.

Methodists

Rev. Gregory S. Neal