Methodists/Prophets and Apostles

Does  Ephesians 4:11  or any other Biblical /scriptural reference provide  a valid reason to state that there are no prophets and apostles today/2012 ?  

I believe  God  has commissioned people  to serve as prophets and apostles today , via His Holy Spirit.  What's true , based upon God's Word ?

Dear Sandra:

I agree with you, that God continues to speak through and with God's people. We are all made, like our first parents, in God's likeness and image. The Spirit who spoke through the prophets and at the first Pentecost continues to speak today. As the New Testament tells us, we need to judge what we hear by the message of Jesus and Scripture. Not all who claim to speak for God really do!

The Rev. William E. Olewiler

United Methodist church structure and doctrine. Science and religion. Christian Education and the Sunday School. Religion and race. Women in the church. United Methodist pastor for 22 years. Member, commissions on Religion and Race and Status and Role of Women. Masters in Divinity and Religious Education.

Ordained deacon and elder, United Methodist Church. District and conference leadership.

Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, George Washington University, Washington DC Master of Arts, Political Science, Brown University, Providence RI Master of Arts, Teaching Secondary Social Studies, Teachers College/Columbia University, New York NY Master of Divinity, Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington DC Doctor of Ministry, Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington DC