Good morning  Rev. Krueger
Peace and Blessings
My Question:
When a person joins the UMC.
During the ceremony the Pastor stated the now person as a member of the UMC (Local name) He is entitled to all the rights and privileges of the church.

What does this mean?
Local Church or Organizations within the Church.

"The rights and privileges of the church"  Good Question. In my experience of pastoral service of over 60 years I have not seen many rights and privileges in the usual American sense of those terms. I have seen opportunities to be of service and I suppose that can be seen as a privilege but it is not limited to members. Certain offices of the church area limited to members and can be thought of as a "right". For some this may also be seen as a "privilege".
The terminology is not very helpful to contemporary Americans. Some probably use these words to give license to take over organizations and even a whole church to satisfy a desire for power and domination.
This is not very helpful but it is where I am today.
Pastor Delton

Delton Krueger

United Methodist Pastor, District Superintendent, Conference Executive for over sixty years. Book of Discipline and General Conference experience. Also provider of information regarding the sacred days of the great world religions. Experience in working with many world religions and in business at Mall of America.

Author of a widely used interfaith calendar -
Over fifty years of experience in the field of religion with a primary focus on Christianity and including experience with people of world religions.

Mall Area Religious Council
United Methodist Church as ordained clergyperson
Bloomington Community Foundation

Portable Guide to World Religions 2007

Hamline University, St. Paul, MN Drew University School of Theology, Madison NJ