Methodists/Length of term for committee members

How long does the UMC Discipline allow a person to be on a church committee?  I thought it was three years, but others are saying 6 years.  It has also been debated that after serving on the committee you only have to be off of the committee 1 year before serving on it again?  Would appreciate your expertise.  Thanks

It depends upon the Committee.  The Discipline only restricts self-succession (i.e., rotating from an outgoing class to an incoming class without at least a year off) in the case of S/PPR (see ( 258.2).  Self-Succession is not prohibited, but also not recommended, for the Board of Trustees.  Otherwise, self-succession is not prohibited.

In general, the nature of the jobs of Treasurer and Financial Secretary is is such that a 6-year term for these two is not unreasonable, though more than 9 years in both posts is probably not advisable.  

Rev. Gregory S. Neal

I can answer questions dealing with all issues of United Methodist Doctrine and Wesleyan-Arminian Theology. In particular I can answer questions dealing with the Sacraments and other liturgical and worship-oriented questions. I can also answer questions dealing with the form, structure, and organization of the United Methodist Church and our relationship with other denominations.

I am an ordained United Methodist Elder with more than 20 years of ministerial service experience in the local Church.

I am a Clergy Member in Full Connection and have been a member of the North Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church since 1991. I am a member of the Society of Biblical Literature and the American Academy of Religion. I am also a member of the Emmaus Community, and am currently serving as Senior Spiritual Director for the Dallas Emmaus Community. I am a member of the Order of Saint Luke in the United Methodist Church.

I have my own website: have written two books, "Grace Upon Grace" and "Seeking the Shepherd's Arms," both available at and in bookstores.

I have a BA in Religious Studies, History and Russian. I have an M.Div in Systematic Theology and Biblical Studies and a Ph.D in Sacramental Theology and New Testament.

Ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church
Fellow of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist