Methodists/Communion to non-believers

Question
Good afternoon, sir, and Happy Easter!

My question is a follow-up to your response from 11/4/2010; "Wesley on the Lord's Supper."

You defined "Converting Ordinance (at least I this is what it is called)" vs. "Confirming Ordinance." Please provide scripture that supports Mr. Wesley's view on Converting Ordinance. I'm no scholar, but not only do I not see anything to support this, what I do read in 1 Corinthians 11 makes me pause when it comes to the proper condition of the heart of he or she who partakes of the elements.

Respectfully,
Doug

Answer
Dear Doug,

I don't believe that John Wesley had any direct Biblical justification for his assertion that Communion could be a "Converting Ordinance."  I could be wrong in this, and I haven't done a search of Wesley's sermons and other writings on the subject.  However, I believe that his conclusion on this subject was rooted in Christian experience -- on the part of himself and of others in seeing how people, who had been prepared by God's grace in its previence, come to the Table of the Lord and, in partaking of the elements, come to faith in Jesus Christ.  In those instances I would say that their hearts are definitely in the "right place" -- open and receptive to discerning the Body of Christ ... the real Presence of Jesus.

I would affirm that such isn't normal ... the normal condition for those coming to the Table is that of already being a believer, a member of the Body of Christ.

Methodists

Rev. Gregory S. Neal