Methodists/Stipend

Question
Dear Rev. Neal,

In some churches it is customary to give the priest or minister a certain amount of money (or stipend, I think it's called# when they perform a wedding or funeral. Is this done in United Methodist churches? And how much is considered a sufficient amount. We don't have a wedding or funeral coming up #that I know of but I'd like to be prepared.

Allen

Answer
It depends upon the size of the Church, but it is, indeed, done.  It will vary from person to person and from church to church, so it can be difficult to give you a basic guide on this question.  However, I can give you what has been normal in my congregations and for me.  Keep in mind, I'm the pastor of a small church (about 150 in worship on Sunday).

Weddings:

I charge NO fee to church members for weddings, but people usually give me an honorarium of $100 - 200 for the pre-wedding and wedding services.

For Non-Members I charge a minimum of $150.00 for the premarital counseling and $150.00 for the rehearsal and the wedding.

Funerals:

Again, i do not charge church members for funerals, however it is not unusual for the family to give me an honorarium in the $100 - $300, depending upon how much time is involved prior to the funeral in talking with the family, etc., and in the service (both church/chapel and graveside).  If the person who died is a church member, but none of the family are, that honorarium is sometimes higher.

For non-Church members, the Funeral Home usually arranges an honorarium for a chapel and graveside service, plus an informational meeting with the family.  That fee is usually $250.00, but can vary from funeral home to funeral home.  If the non-Church members have communicated with me directly, rather than contracted through a funeral home, my quoted honorarium is usually the same as the funeral home charges.

Methodists

Rev. Gregory S. Neal