Methodists/baptism

Question
I am writing a paper on sacramental theology for seminary, and we are not suppose to use the Book of Discipline or the Book of Worship because the professor said they are not scholarly. So, Who can preside at the sacrament of baptism in the UMC? Any other sources?

Answer
Jeff,

The Discipline and the Book of Worship would be considered Primary Sources for HOW Methodists perform the Sacrament, and within the Discipline the Articles of Religion and the EUB Confession of Faith would serve as Doctrinal guidelines for us in our understanding and practice.  For more "scholarly" approaches from within the UMC, you should look at the Church's Official Statement on Baptism:  By Water and the Spirit.  You can find it online here:

http://archives.umc.org/interior.asp?ptid=4&mid=992

You also should check the following resources:

Mark W. Stamm:  Sacraments & Discipleship: Understanding Baptism and the Lord's Supper in a United Methodist Context
Gayle Carlton Felton:  United Methodists and the Sacraments

Both books, by United Methodist Theologians who have the Sacraments as their speciality, will address Sacramentology in general, and Baptism in particular.

A short answer to your question is that any Elder, or a Licensed Local Pastor in their appointment, may preside at the Sacrament of Baptism.

Since this is a homework assignment -- you're working on a paper -- I believe I leave my response at that.  You should look up your resources, do the reading and research, and formulate your own answer.  If, however, I can help you in other ways, please feel free to write again.

Methodists

Rev. Gregory S. Neal