Methodists/Church of Jesus Christ

The peace of our Lord Jesus be always with you Rev. Neal!

How do United Methodists or the wider Wesleyan/Anglican tradition interpret Matthew 16:18 "And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it." I would just like how we as Methodists understand this verse.

Thank you!

In peace,

We understand this verse, and Jesus' affirmation of Peter in it, as an affirmation of not just Peter, but also of all the Apostles and of the Apostolic Church as being the foundation of the church that would grow out of, and affirm, the Apostolic faith; we affirm the apostolic faith of he church as contained in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments and in the historic creeds, like the Nicene and Apostles' Creeds.

Rev. Gregory S. Neal

I can answer questions dealing with all issues of United Methodist Doctrine and Wesleyan-Arminian Theology. In particular I can answer questions dealing with the Sacraments and other liturgical and worship-oriented questions. I can also answer questions dealing with the form, structure, and organization of the United Methodist Church and our relationship with other denominations.

I am an ordained United Methodist Elder with more than 20 years of ministerial service experience in the local Church.

I am a Clergy Member in Full Connection and have been a member of the North Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church since 1991. I am a member of the Society of Biblical Literature and the American Academy of Religion. I am also a member of the Emmaus Community, and am currently serving as Senior Spiritual Director for the Dallas Emmaus Community. I am a member of the Order of Saint Luke in the United Methodist Church.

I have my own website:   I have written two books, "Grace Upon Grace" and "Seeking the Shepherd's Arms," both available at and in bookstores.

I have a BA in Religious Studies, History and Russian. I have an M.Div in Systematic Theology and Biblical Studies and a Ph.D in Sacramental Theology and New Testament.

Ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church
Fellow of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist