Methodists/SPRC hiring procedures

I am on the SPRC in our church - we are in the process of hiring two new staff members.  My question is are there any guidelines as to how voting works?  Does the pastor vote?  Should the pastor specifically say what candidate he would like hired and what candidate he would not like hired?  Is it simply a majority rules vote?  How much involvement should the pastor have in controlling meetings (meaning should it be perceived that the pastor is running the meeting?)  There seems to be much confusion in our church on this topic.  I have been told the pastor should not vote and should not make specific recommendations but that the pastor certainly should be involved and express what he/she believes to be important qualities for the position and take part in the interview process but they absolutely should not vote or express specific opinions of one or more candidates.  Others have said the pastor does vote.  I am confused and would love some very specific clarification.  Thanks.

The Answer to your question regarding guidelines is in paragraph 258.2 of the 2012-2016 Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church, pages 192-197.

The complicated role of a pastor-parish relations committee is dealt with as far as a rule book can go in being exact. Every local situation is somewhat different. For further information I refer you to the District Superintendent of the District where your congregation is located. Your questions are quite important. I believe you can find clear answers.

I will hazard one opinion regarding the pastor voting in the committee. The pastor does not vote or belong to the committee. But you had best validate this by seeing the reference in the Book of Discipline.

Delton Krueger  

Delton Krueger

United Methodist Pastor, District Superintendent, Conference Executive for over sixty years. Book of Discipline and General Conference experience. Also provider of information regarding the sacred days of the great world religions. Experience in working with many world religions and in business at Mall of America.

Author of a widely used interfaith calendar -
Over fifty years of experience in the field of religion with a primary focus on Christianity and including experience with people of world religions.

Mall Area Religious Council
United Methodist Church as ordained clergyperson
Bloomington Community Foundation

Portable Guide to World Religions 2007

Hamline University, St. Paul, MN Drew University School of Theology, Madison NJ