Methodists/Dr. Gene Scott

Question
Dear Dr. Neal,
    This may be an unexpected email, but I hope it finds you happy and in good health.  
    As a student under Dr. Gene Scott, and an educator myself, I learned a great deal about God --- and about what makes a good teacher --- from Doc.  He taught me that it was okay to be a Christian and breathe a little, mess up now and then, and, in short, be HUMAN.  As he once said, God is the God of JACOB as well as Isaac; in other words, the Lord of those who foul up, as well as those who are a little more "holy" (Doc taught me the meaning of that word, too:  to be set apart  --- not, as some  might say, to be "stained-glass perfect").  Doc taught me eternal truths, and in a manner that was frequently as engaging as it was eccentric.  He was --- and will always be --- a singular spirit, a truly unique, one-of-a-kind domata.  
    I know you were his friend, and I respect the fact that you publically identified with him, as he was, undeniably, a maverick in the church world.  His passing left a HUGE GAP in the Christian realm, a chasm never to be filled; however, he is in a better place, perhaps debating some issues with James, or comparing notes with Paul.
    Anyway, thank you for your part in his ministry.  And for continuing to serve our Lord and Savior.  

God bless,
Jack

Answer
Dear Jack,

Bless you and thank you for writing!  As the years pass  I find myself really missing Doc.  He was truly a brilliant man of God, able to proclaim the gospel like few others ever have or ever will.  I considered him a friend and a colleague in ministry, and one of the greatest tests of that friendship was the fact that he and I could disagree on aspects of approach and fine details and we could still agree on the important, core elements of the faith and the broad scope of the message.  I learned a great deal from him, and I thank and praise God for him and for the honor of having known him.

Bless you in your life and ministry of education.  

Greg

Methodists

Rev. Gregory S. Neal