we have members on church role that has not been in years don't know where they are how do we remove from the membership         role?        thanks

Dear Jerry:

    It's good to hear from a fellow Virginian; I was raised in Arlington and served churches from the Bay to the SW mountains.

    The procedure for searching out and removing inactive members is outlined in the Discipline, 2012, paragraph 228. The first step is to attempt to contact the inactives to request that they return to your church, transfer to another UM Church, transfer to a church of another denomination, or resign their membership. If (as it seems to be in your case) there is no response or no way of contacting the persons, then after two years of trying the pastor and chair of evangelism can recommend removal to the Charge Conference "provided that the member's name shall have been entered in the minutes of the annual charge conference for two consecutive years." If the conference agrees, the names shall be entered as "removed by Charge Conference Action." Of course, any time that someone requests transfer or removal of their own names, that can be done at once by the pastor.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


The Rev. William E. Olewiler


United Methodist church structure and doctrine. Science and religion. Christian Education and the Sunday School. Religion and race. Women in the church. United Methodist pastor for 22 years. Member, commissions on Religion and Race and Status and Role of Women. Masters in Divinity and Religious Education.


Ordained deacon and elder, United Methodist Church. District and conference leadership.

Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, George Washington University, Washington DC Master of Arts, Political Science, Brown University, Providence RI Master of Arts, Teaching Secondary Social Studies, Teachers College/Columbia University, New York NY Master of Divinity, Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington DC Doctor of Ministry, Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington DC

©2017 All rights reserved.