Methodists/Closed meetings

Rev. Ole silver,
       My pastor has weekly closed meetings  with 12 members of the Church  Council.  He calls this the Operational Team Incubator group.  They do discuss church business at theses meetings and then the pastor or one of the leaders brings it to the council  for a vote.  My understanding as a long time Methodist is there are no closed meetings except for SPRC and special issues.  I am afraid I would not get anywhere with him if I talked  to him about my concerns .  What should I do?
Thank you,

Dear Patty:

As you are correctly aware, all official meetings of a local United Methodist church, except SPRC, are open.

I think that your pastor would argue that his OTI group is not a group established by the Discipline and thus is not under this Disciplinary ruling. It is an informal advisory group that he has set up.
    This kind of Disciplinary question is one that your District Superintendent might help you with. You could talk with the DS in private and see what his take on the situation is.

The Rev. William E. Olewiler

United Methodist church structure and doctrine. Science and religion. Christian Education and the Sunday School. Religion and race. Women in the church. United Methodist pastor for 22 years. Member, commissions on Religion and Race and Status and Role of Women. Masters in Divinity and Religious Education.

Ordained deacon and elder, United Methodist Church. District and conference leadership.

Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, George Washington University, Washington DC Master of Arts, Political Science, Brown University, Providence RI Master of Arts, Teaching Secondary Social Studies, Teachers College/Columbia University, New York NY Master of Divinity, Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington DC Doctor of Ministry, Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington DC