Methodists/Closed meetings

Question
Rev. Ole silver,
       My pastor has weekly closed meetings  with 12 members of the Church  Council.  He calls this the Operational Team Incubator group.  They do discuss church business at theses meetings and then the pastor or one of the leaders brings it to the council  for a vote.  My understanding as a long time Methodist is there are no closed meetings except for SPRC and special issues.  I am afraid I would not get anywhere with him if I talked  to him about my concerns .  What should I do?
Thank you,
Patty

Answer
Dear Patty:

As you are correctly aware, all official meetings of a local United Methodist church, except SPRC, are open.

I think that your pastor would argue that his OTI group is not a group established by the Discipline and thus is not under this Disciplinary ruling. It is an informal advisory group that he has set up.

This kind of Disciplinary question is one that your District Superintendent might help you with. You could talk with the DS in private and see what his take on the situation is.

Methodists

The Rev. William E. Olewiler