If i may ask do methodists study from the King James bible

Some Methodists do study scripture using the King James Version.  I've used it, on occasion, for various reasons.  As translations go it is beautiful, but it is in an older (500 year old) form of English that is not as easily understood by 21st Century English speakers as more recent translations.  So long as this is understood, a dictionary used to help with comprehension, and other translations are used in conduction with it, I have no problem with using the KJV in Bible Study

The real problem with using the KJV, however, is that the New Testament manuscripts behind its translation from Greek into English is not as ancient as the manuscripts behind the more recent translations.  Put another way, the manuscripts that serve as the basis from which the New Testament of the KJV is translated are 700 - 1000 years younger (and, hence, many more copy-generations removed from the autographs of the New Testament books) than those that are used as the bases for the more recent translations (like the NRSV, the NIV, the CEB, etc).

If you have other questions, or would like clarification on this issue, please feel free to write again.

Rev. Gregory S. Neal

I can answer questions dealing with all issues of United Methodist Doctrine and Wesleyan-Arminian Theology. In particular I can answer questions dealing with the Sacraments and other liturgical and worship-oriented questions. I can also answer questions dealing with the form, structure, and organization of the United Methodist Church and our relationship with other denominations.

I am an ordained United Methodist Elder with more than 20 years of ministerial service experience in the local Church.

I am a Clergy Member in Full Connection and have been a member of the North Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church since 1991. I am a member of the Society of Biblical Literature and the American Academy of Religion. I am also a member of the Emmaus Community, and am currently serving as Senior Spiritual Director for the Dallas Emmaus Community. I am a member of the Order of Saint Luke in the United Methodist Church.

I have my own website:   I have written two books, "Grace Upon Grace" and "Seeking the Shepherd's Arms," both available at and in bookstores.

I have a BA in Religious Studies, History and Russian. I have an M.Div in Systematic Theology and Biblical Studies and a Ph.D in Sacramental Theology and New Testament.

Ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church
Fellow of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist