Methodists/Broad of trustees terms for chairmanship

This is my first year serving on the trustee board we want our chairman to continue to serve , he has already served for one year term,  and the pastor wants him to leave.  But if we as trustee members elect with a majority vote ,to keep him on can he continue to serve with our permission?  I have read some of the book of discipline but I just want clarify .  I also have other questions as well.  Could you please contact me I would love to speak to you if possible.  My cell numbers are 2524898032 or 2524898031.  Thank you so much for your time.  God bless you,  Autumn Melson and Michael Melson

Dear Autumn and Michael,

If the Charge Conference appoints this individual to the Board of Trustees for another year then he would be a valid candidate for the Trustees to elect as their Chair.  The Trustees select their own Chair, and can only select someone who is on the Board by virtue of election by the Charge Conference.

Keep in mind, however, that there may be a good reason why the Pastor doesn't wish this chair to continue serving.  Have you spoken with the Pastor about this situation?  You might want to speak with the church's Lay leader, who is also on the Nominations Committee, about this situation.

If you would like to contact me off this board, you may do so at my email address:

Rev. Gregory S. Neal

I can answer questions dealing with all issues of United Methodist Doctrine and Wesleyan-Arminian Theology. In particular I can answer questions dealing with the Sacraments and other liturgical and worship-oriented questions. I can also answer questions dealing with the form, structure, and organization of the United Methodist Church and our relationship with other denominations.

I am an ordained United Methodist Elder with more than 20 years of ministerial service experience in the local Church.

I am a Clergy Member in Full Connection and have been a member of the North Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church since 1991. I am a member of the Society of Biblical Literature and the American Academy of Religion. I am also a member of the Emmaus Community, and am currently serving as Senior Spiritual Director for the Dallas Emmaus Community. I am a member of the Order of Saint Luke in the United Methodist Church.

I have my own website:   I have written two books, "Grace Upon Grace" and "Seeking the Shepherd's Arms," both available at and in bookstores.

I have a BA in Religious Studies, History and Russian. I have an M.Div in Systematic Theology and Biblical Studies and a Ph.D in Sacramental Theology and New Testament.

Ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church
Fellow of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist