Methodists/Pastor as Chair

Thanks for your efforts on this great information source.  I would like ask you, though, to review your answer regarding the chair of the SPPRC in a previous question.  You referred to paragraph 258.1 of the Discipline and stated that the Pastor is the chair of the committee, but I believe that the paragraph in question is in reference to the Nominating Committee.  

John - You're right.  I obviously misread the question.  Let me look some more.  Don't go away.

It took a few minutes, but I think I've found the right paragraph, # 249 and 249.3).

The procedure is for the nominating committee (of which the pastor is chair) to nominate a chair and committee for SPPRC, and the Charge Conference decides.

Interpreting that, it would be possible for the pastor to influence the nominating committee to nominate the person he wants.  It's not a direct appointment, as the whole committee should decide.

I think I answered the right question this time.

Carl Fuglein

General questions about the United Methodist Church - its history, Book of Discipline, its stance on current issues, church politics and administration, etc.

I've attended United Methodist Churches for 40 years and been an "official" member for 33 years. I've held many lay positions within the church and am considered a church "leader".

I've attended the UMC lay speaking academy and am a recognized conference preacher.