Methodists/Ash Wednesday

Question
I was confused recently when our D.S. invited us to an Ash Wednesday 11:00 a.m. service and then to be a guest for lunch following the service.  Isn't Ash Wednesday a day of fasting?

Answer
Dear Ralph:

Ash Wednesday begins Lent, which at its origin was "a period of fasting and preparation for baptism by converts," and then became "a time of penance for all Christians." (Andy Langford, Blueprints for Worship, Abingdon). "Ash Wednesday . . . centers on a most powerful sign-act: The Imposition of Ashes." (Same)
    I have always understood the ashes as the major liturgical recognition of Ash Wednesday. Fasting has never been part of my observance of the day.

Methodists

The Rev. William E. Olewiler