You are here:

Methodists/Replacing a member of the SPPRC who resigned


How do I replace a member of the SPPRC who just resigned? We are interviewing persons for a church secretarial position and it is imperative that both of the churches I serve have full representation.

Pastor Joan Gordon
Clintondale-Lamar United Methodist Charge

Dear Pastor Joan:

    Paragraph 250 of the United Methodist Discipline (2012) answers your question. If a leader elected by the Charge Conference is unable or unwilling to perform the duties of the position, the District Superintendent calls a special session of the Charge Conference. The Committee on Nominations and Leadership Development of the affected church shall propose person(s) to fill the vacancy. The special Charge Conference then officially removes the unable/unwilling person and elects a replacement. The PPRC/SPPRC Committee is one of those elected by the Charge Conference (Paragraph 249).


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


The Rev. William E. Olewiler


United Methodist church structure and doctrine. Science and religion. Christian Education and the Sunday School. Religion and race. Women in the church. United Methodist pastor for 22 years. Member, commissions on Religion and Race and Status and Role of Women. Masters in Divinity and Religious Education.


Ordained deacon and elder, United Methodist Church. District and conference leadership.

Bachelor of Arts, Political Science, George Washington University, Washington DC Master of Arts, Political Science, Brown University, Providence RI Master of Arts, Teaching Secondary Social Studies, Teachers College/Columbia University, New York NY Master of Divinity, Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington DC Doctor of Ministry, Wesley Theological Seminary, Washington DC

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]