Methodists/pulpit bylaws

Question
Is it proper for a pastor to allow another pastor or lay person to fill the pulpit, as a guest speaker  or for a funeral or wedding?
Thank You

Answer
Yes.  Normally it is up to the pastor's discretion.  Most pastors I know would allow this.  I've seen it happen frequently.  E.g., my daughter was married in our church, where she was confirmed, by a pastor who had been an associate previously at our charge, and by a deacon from the Roman Catholic church.  I don't think our pastor even attended the wedding, although he was invited.

I do not know of any rules in the Discipline specifically against this - the SPR Committee or Worship Committee might have a say, but I doubt they would ever want to get involved.  Remember that a wedding or funeral really belongs to the married couple and family of the deceased.  It is not a worship event.

Hope this helps.

Carl

Methodists

Carl Fuglein