Methodists/Church Council meetings

Can regular United Methodist Church members attend church council/administrative council meetings ? If yes, may they participate in discussions during the meeting ?

With the exception of the Staff-Pastor-Parish Relations Committee, all Boards and Committees of the Church are open for any member of the church to attend.  Members have voice at all non S/PPRC meetings, but have vote only if appointed to the committee or Council.  

Staff/Pastor Parish Relations Committee meetings are supposed to be closed for confidentiality issues.  They may be opened for a time of listening to concerns of the congregation, but no official decisions can be made when non-S/PPRC members are present.

Rev. Gregory S. Neal

I can answer questions dealing with all issues of United Methodist Doctrine and Wesleyan-Arminian Theology. In particular I can answer questions dealing with the Sacraments and other liturgical and worship-oriented questions. I can also answer questions dealing with the form, structure, and organization of the United Methodist Church and our relationship with other denominations.

I am an ordained United Methodist Elder with more than 20 years of ministerial service experience in the local Church.

I am a Clergy Member in Full Connection and have been a member of the North Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church since 1991. I am a member of the Society of Biblical Literature and the American Academy of Religion. I am also a member of the Emmaus Community, and am currently serving as Senior Spiritual Director for the Dallas Emmaus Community. I am a member of the Order of Saint Luke in the United Methodist Church.

I have my own website:   I have written two books, "Grace Upon Grace" and "Seeking the Shepherd's Arms," both available at and in bookstores.

I have a BA in Religious Studies, History and Russian. I have an M.Div in Systematic Theology and Biblical Studies and a Ph.D in Sacramental Theology and New Testament.

Ordained Elder in the United Methodist Church
Fellow of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist