Methodists/council

Question
what role does a council member at large play.My wife and I had just been voted on to be council members at large with our UMC was wondering what that role consist of

Answer
At-Large Members of the Church Council are considered "general" members.  They have voice and vote on all matters that come before the Council.  They can be appointed to perform task-force functions and other specific duties, to fill-in with vacancies on various committees (with approval of the Pastor and the Council).  However, in general an At-Large member is supposed to be either someone who is learning the administrative processes of a congregation or an experienced, senior member of the church's leadership who brings institutional memory to the Council.

Methodists

Rev. Gregory S. Neal