Methodists/Laity

Question
First is a lay leader automatic a member of the board of trustees.
My second questions; can the lay letter vote on decisions made by the trustees

Answer
According to the 2012 Book of Discipline, Paragraph 251c, the Lay Leader is automatically and by virtue of being Lay Leader, a member of the Church Council, Committee on Finance, Committee on Nominations, and Staff/Pastor-Parish Relations.  This does NOT include membership on the Board of Trustees.

Additionally, Paragraph 2526 of the book of Discipline, which specifically details membership on the Board of Trustees, does NOT list the Lay Leader as being an automatic member.  The Lay Leader MAY be a member of the Board of Trustees, but only as any other Trustee would be a member: by election of the Charge Conference or Church Council.

So, to summarize, NO ... the Lay Leader is not, by virtue of their office, a member of the Trustees, nor do they have vote on the Trustees by virtue of their standing as Lay Leader.

I hope this helps.

Methodists

Rev. Gregory S. Neal