Mexican Culture/Vintage fashion from late 1800's-early 1900's

Question
Front
Front  

Inside
Inside  
Hello,
My mother in law has given me various pieces of clothing and antiques passed from generation to generation. The piece I am wondering about today is attached to this email. I can tell it is all hand done and looks very old. I would like to know what time period its from and a possible value. Thanks for your time and I have additional photos if needed.

Thanks,
Amy

Answer
Hi, Amy,
I am, unfortunately, not a clothes expert or historian, but I can safely date these items to somewhere between 1880 and 1910. They could be as "new" as 1920, though. A more accurate dating would depend on the length of the skirt and the actual fabric (textile content).
As for the value, it probably is mostly historic and there would be collectors and museums that would love to have items in excellent condition. If they are Mexican, they are probably per-revolutionary war period, and depending on the history attached, the value could be higher.
These also seem like widow items (black was reserved for funerals and mourning). Even though they are definitely hand made, the value would also depend if the fabric is silk or something else.
I would encourage you to find a college near your area that might have a history department, they might be able to help you learn more about these garments.

CHull

Mexican Culture

c