You are here:

Mexican Law/visa in mexico


I am trying to get a visa in mexico to work. I currently live in mexico illegal. i went to the immigration office in Tuxpan and talked to the licenciada and she gave me the list of things needed to get me legal and able to work here in mexico. Passport was the number one thing on the list. I do not have a passport and don't really have the money to go get one. I do have my birth certificate and my s.s. card. do you know if i can use them instead of a passport.

Hi John,

You are definitely going to need to get your US passport. You can get one issued by the nearest US Consulate. From Tuxpan, I am not sure which is closer, Mexico City or Matamoros. Normally to get a passport issued, you need one form of photo ID. However, there are procedure in place for issuing a passport if you can not reasonably  obtain a photo ID.

Hope this helps,

Lic. John Lee Ward
C󲤯ba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.