Mexican Law/Defamation of Character

Question
I live in Mexico, and was volunteering for a non-profit.  We hired a guy to do some legal work.  He misrepresented his ability to get things done and bullied me.  I complained to him and told some other people that he was a liar.  He is threatening to sue me for defamation of character.  Am I in serious trouble?

Answer
Dear Lee,

The short answer is, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can mention to him that you will file criminal charges related to his professional short-comings. (As a general rule, negligence in Mexico is a crime.)

Defamation is a quickly changing field in Mexican law. Traditionally, defamation was a crime but now there is a trend to de-criminalize it and treat it as a civil action. The new defamation paradigm is modeled after the US experience. (for example, the justifications for the new laws typically cite the US Supreme Court case of New York Times v. Sullivan)

If things get ugly, you can email me directly: johnleeward@buholegal.com

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward