Mexican Law/looking for arrest records

Question
I am looking for a specific person and when and what they were arrested for in La Paz mexico is there a way to do this?  If so where and how can I do it?

Answer
Dear Meghan,

There is no easy answer. It will take some detective work.
Here are some ideas.

1) Sign up for a free account at: www.buholegal.com
Select Baja California Sur as your "Estado Favorito".
Look for the menu opion "Buscar por Actor/Demandado"
Do a search in the Federal database using the name of the person for Actora.
You will be searching for a possible Amparo which is a type of Constitutional appeal that the criminally accused resort to. The Demandado in this case will be the Trial Judge or possible the Ministerio Publico.

2) Do a search of the local La Paz newspapers.

3) You can try doing a freedom of information request. Refer to this site:

http://itai.org.mx/itai/

However, as a general rule, the names of the accused and victims in criminal proceedings are considered protected information for privacy reasons.

4) If you really need to know, you might visit the Ministerio Publico in La Paz. There is a saying in Mexico, "Todo es posible". (Anything is possible). If you convince someone in the office of the Ministerio Publico that you have a good reason for obtaining the information, I am sure it will be forthcoming. A "tip" will probably be expected.

Hope this helps...

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz  

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward