Mexican Law/Voluntary Divorce in Colima, Mexico

Question
Hola!,
My Novia has papers ready to sign with her soon-to-be ex-husband to hhave a Voluntario Divorce. After they papers are signed, what is the process to have the divorce finalized nd recorded? How long does it take for the Voluntario Divorce to become final. We would wish to then get married in Las Vegas.

Muchas Gracias!

steve

Answer
The "divorcio voluntario" is done in the Registro Civil and not before a Judge. Once the paperwork is signed and handed over to the people in the Registro, you are officially divorced, assuming that it is the same Registro Civil where the couple was married. If not, a letter needs to be sent from the Registro granting the divorce to the Registro where the original marriage certificate is stored to make a marginal notation.

One other issue: In some states, there is a waiting period of 1 year after a divorce before you can remarry. You need to check the law in Colima.

Saludos!

John

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward