You are here:

Mexican Law/Amending Mexican Birth Certificate


I have a client in the US who has a Mexican birth certificate issued in 1962.  The father is listed as Mexican, but he is native american.  There is no mother listed.  We are trying to enroll her in her Native American Tribe, of which her father is an enrolled member.  Can you direct us to how we go about amending the birth certificate to properly reflect her father as Native American AND listing her mother on the birth certificate.  There after, We need to have a certificate copy of the amended certificate.

Dear Alexandra,

Details of how to modify a birth certificate to add a parent varies state by state. However, unless the mother is still alive and willing to sign, it will be very difficult to accomplish that modification and would require a judicial order.

Regarding the father, if he was a Mexican national, the birth certificate will list him as Mexican. Mexico does not recognize belonging to a tribe as contituting a distinct "nationality".


Lic. John Lee Ward
Cordoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.