Mexican Law/Amending Mexican Birth Certificate

Question
I have a client in the US who has a Mexican birth certificate issued in 1962.  The father is listed as Mexican, but he is native american.  There is no mother listed.  We are trying to enroll her in her Native American Tribe, of which her father is an enrolled member.  Can you direct us to how we go about amending the birth certificate to properly reflect her father as Native American AND listing her mother on the birth certificate.  There after, We need to have a certificate copy of the amended certificate.

Answer
Dear Alexandra,

Details of how to modify a birth certificate to add a parent varies state by state. However, unless the mother is still alive and willing to sign, it will be very difficult to accomplish that modification and would require a judicial order.

Regarding the father, if he was a Mexican national, the birth certificate will list him as Mexican. Mexico does not recognize belonging to a tribe as contituting a distinct "nationality".

Lic. John Lee Ward
Cordoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward