You are here:

Mexican Law/Lost divorce papers


I received a Divorce in Villhermosa, MX by the help of an attorney in 1999.  My Divorce papers were destroyed in a fire and I would like to know how to obtain another copy of them for my records.  Can you give me some phone numbers, addresses or emails on who I need to contact to get this information.  Also do you know how much it is going to cost me to get this information?  Thank you.

Dear Tanisha,

If you were also married in Mexico, the evidence of your divorce should be in the same Registro Civil where you were married. The divorce is evidenced by a marginal notation in the original marriage certificate. A certified copy of any marriage certificate typically costs about $5 dollars. Wether you can order one by phone or internet depends on the Registro Civil.

If you were not married in Mexico, then the evidence of your divorce is the judicial decree ordering the divorce. To get a copy of that you would need to know the Juzgado and Case Number. Then you can order a certifed copy of the decree. If you at least know which Juzgado the divorce was decreed, any lawyer could research the records to find your case number.

Hope this helps...

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]