Mexican Law/Paternity Acknowledgement

QUESTION: I have a client who married a Mexican, in Veracruz, who is the single mother of a 3 year old girl. The father 's name is not only not on the certificate but also refused all efforts by the attorney in Veracruz to sign any paternity documents. The new husband had himself acknowledged as the girl's father.
Is this considered an adoption or under Mexican law does it consider it more of a backtracking to being the actual father.

ANSWER: Dear Rebecca,

If the new husband signed the birth certificate as the father, legally he is the father even if he is not the biological father. It is not an adoption. Obviously the process could be reversed by way of a paternity suit against the biological father.

Hope this helps.

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

QUESTION: That helps! Can you provide me with a cite to the code in case I need it? And could I also trouble you to send me the cite and a statement to that effect to my regular email so that I can have it in my file in the event I need it?

Thank you so very much.

Rebecca Black
Rebecca Black Immigration, PA

Dear Rebecca,

Family law is contained in the Civil Codes of the various Mexican states. Each state varies somewhat. But in any case, there is no one article that specifically articulates the principal that a non-biological father can appear on the birth certificate. If you need this for a case, I can prepare a brief as an expert in Mexican law.

You can contact me directly at:

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward

I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.

Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico