Mexican Law/theft

Question
Hello,

I am a U.S. citizen who lived and worked in Mexico for almost 2 years legally. I recently moved back to the states.  I was having problems with my roommate.  Now I have found out that she is accusing me of stealing her computer and some other things.  I guess she even posted it on facebook!  But since I didn't do anything, I just ignored it.

Then I received a text from her saying that she filed a police report that I stole it - the neighbor upstairs/her friend is a witness supposedly.  And she supposedly gave all passport info to immigration - I held a FM3 visas. She is accusing me of taking it or taking it to a pawn shop. I don't have her things and I did not take them to a pawn shop.

But I am nervous.  What will happen if I choose to go back to Mexico?  How do I handle this?  Is there a statute of limitations?  It was in Quintana Roo.  Thank you.

Answer
Dear Rose,

I wouldn't worry about it. I am quite sure that the Mexican Immigration will take no action and I doubt that your roommate actually filed a police report. But even if she did, as you are not available to be questioned, the "investigation" would go no where.

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward