You are here:

Mexican Law/changing name on deed of her house in mexico


my mother has a house in mexico that she owns but the deed is in my sister n laws name. she is from there but now lives in the united states. what would i have to do to put the house in my mothers name so she can sell

thank you

Dear Maria,

If your sister in law does not want to go to Mexico, what she can do is grant a "Poder Notarial" to your mother. This "power of attorney" can be issued in any Mexican Consulate. It costs about US $100.00  

Once your mother has the "poder notarial", she can go to any Notario who can take care of the paperwork. The transaction will probably be a "donation" so as to reduce the cost (taxes) of the operation.

Hope this helps.


Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.