Mexican Law/changing name on deed of her house in mexico

Question
my mother has a house in mexico that she owns but the deed is in my sister n laws name. she is from there but now lives in the united states. what would i have to do to put the house in my mothers name so she can sell

thank you

Answer
Dear Maria,

If your sister in law does not want to go to Mexico, what she can do is grant a "Poder Notarial" to your mother. This "power of attorney" can be issued in any Mexican Consulate. It costs about US $100.00  

Once your mother has the "poder notarial", she can go to any Notario who can take care of the paperwork. The transaction will probably be a "donation" so as to reduce the cost (taxes) of the operation.

Hope this helps.

Saludos!

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward