Mexican Law/Selling property in Mexico

Question
I inherited property in Jalisco, Mx. My father did all the paperwork so that it be put in my name.  The property was a store but has been vacant for over 15 years due to the structure damage. It needs to be demolished and rebuilt. So, I would rather sell it. But where do I start to find out the value of the property? And how do I advertise it for sale.

Answer
Dear Sandra,

You have an obligation to pay Property Tax every year on your property. (Impuesto Catastral). The local "Catastro" (the office in charge of the local property taxes) has an accessed value on your property. In some municipios, the value is "real" and in some municipios the value is less than the real market value. Using the "valor catastral" (accessed value by the Catastro) and asking the locals about the relation between "valor catastral" and market value, you can get a good idea of the value of your property.

If the property is in an urban area, there are probably real estate firms who can help sell your property. If not, the best course of action is a "for sale" sign and a local phone number.

Hope this helps...

John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward