You are here:

Mexican Law/common law marriage


John, First I want to say this is a wonderful site and it helps many people. Thank you for your time! I have had a relationship with a Mexican citizen and I am a US citizen. This relationship has been in Nogales, Sonora, I have been with the woman for 8 years now but have been married for 7 of those with another woman in the USA. i have lived with this woman during the week and went to the states on the weekends to my kids and wife. Me an this woman have broken up numerous times and the last time was October 0f 2012 and the we rekindled in November and she moved back in the middle of December. I divorced my wife in December of 2012 as I knew what I was doing was incorrect. well know that I am living with this woman 24-7 I have found she has a drinking problem and no longer want to be with her. Now that I am going to be ending this relationship do i have an alimony/financial responsibility to this woman?

Dear Chris,

You can prove that you were married until December 2012. In the absence of children, to estabish "concubinato" (common law marriage), 5 years of co-habitation are required. The previous 7 years do not count because you were married and you were not living with her full time.

In my opinion, you have no legal responsability to pay alimony.

Hope this helps.

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]