Mexican Law/inheritance

Question
An American citizen passed away in Slovakia 2 months ago. He left a wife (Mexican citizen, living in Mexico) and a daughter (American citizen, living in Austria) behind. The deceased's last place of residence was in Mexico. His will is invalid (not notarized and not hand written). He had a house in Slovakia and assets in Austria, Slovakia, US, and Mexico. To my knowledge, a court decision about the inheritance is needed. How would the assets be divided between the wife and the daughter? What are the procedures to receive a document with the court decision?

Many thanks!

Answer
Maria,

The laws of instestate sucesion is State law in Mexico. The split between a widow and children depends on the State. But generally there are two formulas. In some states, the widow and each child receives an equal share. In other states, the widow receives half and the rest is divided between the children.

To settle the estate, a relative needs to "denunciar la sucesión" or initiate probate before a local civil judge (normally a Juez de Primera Instancia).

Hope this helps,

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz  

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward