Mexican Law/Property in Mexico

My father went missing in Mexico nearly two years ago, he is assumed to be deceased, however no documentation to that nor to his property there that was to be inherited by myself, me being his eldest son. Where do I start and what needs to be done for me to claim that property?

Hi Felipe,

In each state there is a procedure for declaring the "ausencia" in a local Juzgado de Primera Instancia. The judge appoints someone to oversee whatever property or business dealings that the missing person had. After a period of time, normally two years, the Judge will rule that the person is presumed dead and a death certificate is issued. At that point, the intestate sucession process can begin.

Hope this helps...

Lic. John Lee Ward

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward

I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.

Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico