Mexican Law/Property in Mexico

Question
My father went missing in Mexico nearly two years ago, he is assumed to be deceased, however no documentation to that nor to his property there that was to be inherited by myself, me being his eldest son. Where do I start and what needs to be done for me to claim that property?

Answer
Hi Felipe,

In each state there is a procedure for declaring the "ausencia" in a local Juzgado de Primera Instancia. The judge appoints someone to oversee whatever property or business dealings that the missing person had. After a period of time, normally two years, the Judge will rule that the person is presumed dead and a death certificate is issued. At that point, the intestate sucession process can begin.

Hope this helps...

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba,Veracruz

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward