Mexican Law/Mexican divorce in 1966

Question
I went to Juarez in 1966 for a Mexican divorce.  It was arranged by my lawyer and my ex's lawyer in NY where we lived; the docs stated that my ex was represented by a Mexican attorney -- mutual divorce.  We both lived in NY at that time.  Today I live in Florida and am married to a Canadian who is applying for a green card.  Immigration questions the validity of my Mexican divorce decree and implied that I may still be married to my ex because Florida does not recognize Mexican divorces. My Florida lawyer doesn't want to represent us any longer because he doesn't understand divorce law.  What are my options?

Answer
Hello, I would show both immigration and the attorney this information from the US Department of State web site www.state.gov/documents/organization/86803.pdf

They state:

d. A divorce decree issued in a foreign country generally is recognized in a state in the United States on the basis of comity (Hilton v. Guyot, 159 U.S. 113, 163-64 (1895)), provided both parties to the divorce received adequate notice, i.e., service of process and, generally, provided one of the parties was a domiciliary in the foreign nation at the time of the divorce. Under the principle of comity, a divorce obtained in another country under the circumstances described above receives "full faith and credit" in all other states and countries that recognize divorce.

This is where I direct people when they have this question.

The only thing that comes to mind may be that maybe they think you got divorced too quickly or were forum shopping as most states have residency requirements for a court to be able to issue a divorce judgment and from what you say both of you were living in New York, why the foreign divorce?

Good luck
Spencer

Mexican Law

Lic. Spencer Richard Mc Mullen