Mexican Law/statute of limitations for minors in personal injury actions in Baja California Mexico.

Question
I have a case involving a motor vehicle accident in Tijuana, Mexico with two parties domiciled in and residents of California USA.
The accident occurred in 2010 and the plaintiff was a minor at the time of the accident. The minor has now reached the age of 18 and just filed suit for personal injury in the State of California, USA.
My question is, assuming Mexican Law to be applicable to the case,  whether the statute of limitations for minors in Baja California Mexico begins to run from the date of the accident, or from the date they reach the age of 18. The latter is the case under California Law.
additionally, I am interested in knowing whether the statute of limitations for personal injury is 2 years from the date of the accident as it is in California USA.
Thank you.
Scott.

Answer
Dear Scott,

I was mistaken in my previous answer. Just as in California, the running of the statute of limitations for civil actions is suspended for any minors in Baja California.

ARTICULO 1153.- La prescripción no puede comenzar ni correr contra las personas menores
de dieciocho años de edad o personas que no tengan la capacidad para comprender el significado del
hecho, sino cuando se haya discernido su tutela conforme a las leyes. Las personas menores de
dieciocho años de edad o personas que no tengan la capacidad para comprender el significado del
hecho tendrán derecho de exigir responsabilidad a sus tutores cuando por culpa de éstos no se hubiere
interrumpido la prescripción.

and the statute for a civil action based on a personal injury is 2 years...

ARTICULO 1148.- Prescriben en dos años:

V.- La responsabilidad civil proveniente de actos ilícitos que no constituyan delitos.

Hope this helps.

John

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward