You are here:

Mexican Law/Amend Mexican birth certificate


I am Mexican but a permanent resident of the USA (green card). My Mexican birth certificate shows my first name and then the last names of my father and then that of my mother. This has caused problems with various sources because my name is picked up (from driver's license, green card, etc.) as the last name of my mother, but my wife's last name and children's last names are that of my Father (the next to last name on my birth certificate and cards. This is the last name that I use.

I would like to change my Mexican birth certificate to my fist two names with the surname being that of my Father only. Can this be done, and what is the process.

Thank you for your help.

Dear Francisco,

The civil law of each of the Mexican states regulates name changes. A person desiring a name change must initiate of judicial proceeding in the local Juzgado Civil. One might have trouble convincing a judge to eliminate the mother's family name from a birth certificate because as it goes contrary to the very strong custom or cultural tradition regarding how a person is named and the respect afforded to the acestry of each person represented by the full name.  

You would probably be better off dealing with each U.S. institution that get's your name wrong. Changing names in Mexico is not nearly as easy as it is in the United States.

Hope this helps.


John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.