Mexican Law/Attorney fees


QUESTION: How do I file a claim against attorneys in Mexico City who failed to comply with my needs and took my money?

ANSWER: Dear Ava,

In Mexico, there is no Bar as there is in the States. If you want to file an action against a lawyer, there is no other option but to file a civil suit for breach of contract. If the action of the lawyers reaches the level of gross negligence, you might be able to file a criminal action.

I am currently living in Mexico City so I might be able to help out if you decide to sue them.



---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Ok, so how do I proceed? Because what happen, I hired those attorneys to obtain my Mexican Visa and they never obtained my visa after wiring transferring $2,000 dollars. When I got in contact with them for a refund, they refused.

Dear Ava,

There is a mexican consumer protection agency called PROFECO.
From the US, you can file a complaint by email. The address is:

Here is a web page from that agency in english. Your case applies to the section marked by a number 3.

Hope this helps,

John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.