You are here:

Mexican Law/Amparo effectiveness


Hello, I'm familiar with a case where an American living in Mexico was sued. It's been three years since the suit and it has not been heard yet. The reason for the lack of action is that there are some defendants which have not been notified of the suit by the Junta. There seems to be no interest in the system of notifying these people. Would an administrative amparo be the best option for causing the case to be heard? Can an American living in Mexico request an amparo?

Thanks very much for your response.

Hello Nidza,

As a general rule in Mexico, it is the responsibility of each litigant to "impulsar" the process so that the case eventually gets resolved. If years have gone by without notifying the proper people, its most likely the fault of the lawyers for the party who most benefits from having those people notified. If on the off chance that the lawyers have taken the proper steps but the Junta still does not act, either an amparo or an administrative complaint could get the ball rolling again.

For your second question, yes, an American living in Mexico or even abroad can initiate a "demanda de amparo" if thier interests have been affected by a Mexican authority.

Hope this helps..

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]