You are here:

Mexican Law/Selling my condo in Mexico


Lic. Spencer Richard McMullen wrote at 2014-07-28 21:26:30
You have a very common situation with a "phantom" capital gain.  You mention living in Mexico for 10 years, do you have a tourist visa or another immigration document?  If you have a residente temporal or residente permanente you may be able to qualify for the capital gains exemption and not pay the $33,000 tax.  If you only have a tourist visa you can get a temporary or permanent resident visa and perhaps avoid the payment of the tax.  

Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.