You are here:

Mexican Law/help in getting divorced


How do I get divorced from my ex-husband if he resides in San Miguel De Allende Gto. Mexico but I don't know thw exact address. My ex was incarcerated for a year and then deeported please help me. I have been the only person to provide for my children for the last 5 years and want to move on with my life.

Hi Cynthia,

First, you should file for divorce either in the US where you live, or in San Miguel de Allende. To sped things up, I would file in San Miguel de Allende.

In the divorce suit, you tell the Judge that you believe he lives in San Miguel but don't know his address. The Judge will send requests for information to the power company, IFE, phone company, etc to try to locate him. If the can't be located, the Judge will order that be notified by "edictos". This means that notices will be put in the local news paper and the Official newspaper of the state of Guanajuato. (Periódico Oficial).

Hope this helps.


Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.