Mexican Law/help in getting divorced

Question
How do I get divorced from my ex-husband if he resides in San Miguel De Allende Gto. Mexico but I don't know thw exact address. My ex was incarcerated for a year and then deeported please help me. I have been the only person to provide for my children for the last 5 years and want to move on with my life.

Answer
Hi Cynthia,

First, you should file for divorce either in the US where you live, or in San Miguel de Allende. To sped things up, I would file in San Miguel de Allende.

In the divorce suit, you tell the Judge that you believe he lives in San Miguel but don't know his address. The Judge will send requests for information to the power company, IFE, phone company, etc to try to locate him. If the can't be located, the Judge will order that be notified by "edictos". This means that notices will be put in the local news paper and the Official newspaper of the state of Guanajuato. (Periódico Oficial).

Hope this helps.

John

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward