You are here:

Mexican Law/Mexico Divorce


QUESTION: Hi, my boyfriend is trying to get a divorce fro someone he married in Mexico but he is currently in California on an over stayed visa therefore hard to go back to Mexico to get the divorce. How would he be able to obtain a divorce from California. Roughly how much does a divorce in Mexico cost? He has 3 minor children in  Mexico who he supports every week and will continue to support after the divorce.

ANSWER: Dear Julie,

Your boyfriend can send a Poder Notarial to a lawyer in Mexico. He does not actually need to be present. However, getting the divorce will be long and difficult unless the wife is agreeable to the terms of the divorce so that it will be considered "voluntary" for both.

Hope this helps,

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Why would the process be long and difficult if she doesn't agree? Thank you for the quick response. Do you have any recommendations for attorney in Obregon, Sonora. We have been talking to someone in Guadalajara but how do we check his license number?

Dear Julie,

Just as in the US, a contested divorce can be long, ugly and costly. Unfortunately, I dont know any lawyer in Sonora.

You can check to see if any lawyer has a license (Cédula Profesional) by consulting this page:


Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.