Mexican Law/How do I order a certified copy of a marriage certificate from Mexico?

Question
QUESTION: Greetings,
  How do I order a certified copy of my marriage certificate from Mexico?  The Registro Civil Office #5 is Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo.  Document dated 7/17/04.

-Jim

ANSWER: You need to send someone to the Registro Civil to pay the fee and pick up the document. If you do not have anyone in the area, you can try calling the Registro Civl and offer to send the money to the bank acount of one of the workers who can then get the copy and send it to you. Obviously you should offer a decent tip to whover offers to do this for you as they will have to go to handle the  delivery to you  on thier own time.

Hope this helps.

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

QUESTION: Thanks for the response.  But, there has to be a more legitimate way than finding a mule and wiring funds under the table.  Arent there any legitimate services that can take a credit card payment?  I've seen a few online, but they are filled with broken links and seem shady.

Answer
Hi Jim,

The idea of getting an employee to help you out might seem shady by US standards but here it is quite normal and not considered inappropriate. There are services that will get the certificate for you but they are more costly and probably less reliable than dealing direct.

But in any case, the first thing to do is call the Registro Civil to discuss options. Some state Registros are more advanced than others. There may be some that already accept credit cards in which case you only need to worry about delivery.

John

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward