You are here:

Mexican Law/Probate a US will for Mexican real property


A friend of mine recently died and had a valid US will.  He was married at the time of his death and left all real and personal property to his wife.  However, the title to a house in Veracruz is only in his name.  Does the will need to be probated in Mexico also>


Dear John,

The short answer is yes. There are two ways to go about this. One is to have the court in the domiciliary state approve the will and then have this resolution sent to Mexico so that a Mexican Judge can do the ancillary probate. Or, you can have the will affixed with an Apostille, translated and then intiate a probate proceeding in Mexico without involving a US Court.

Just so happens that I live and practice law in Veracruz so I am at your disposal. My direct email is:

Hope this helps.

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


John Lee Ward


I can respond to any question related to Mexican Law and common business practices in Mexico. I can also compare and contrast between the American and Mexican legal systems.


Licenciatura en Derecho from the Universidad del Golfo en Cordoba, Veracruz. (Cedula Profesional No. 5713238) Maestria en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon en Veracruz, Veracruz. (Cedula Professional No. 6358321) Currently a Candidate for a Doctorado en Derecho from the Universidad de Cristobal Colon. 5 years of litigation experience in Mexico.

Bachelors in Electronic Engineering, California Polytechnic State Univ. Juris Doctor, Concord University in Los Angeles Licenciatura en Derecho, Universidad del Golfo, Mexico Maestria en Derecho, Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico Doctorado en Derecho (In Progress), Universidad de Cristobal Colon, Mexico

©2017 All rights reserved.