Mexican Law/Probate a US will for Mexican real property

Question
A friend of mine recently died and had a valid US will.  He was married at the time of his death and left all real and personal property to his wife.  However, the title to a house in Veracruz is only in his name.  Does the will need to be probated in Mexico also>

Thanks,
John

Answer
Dear John,

The short answer is yes. There are two ways to go about this. One is to have the court in the domiciliary state approve the will and then have this resolution sent to Mexico so that a Mexican Judge can do the ancillary probate. Or, you can have the will affixed with an Apostille, translated and then intiate a probate proceeding in Mexico without involving a US Court.

Just so happens that I live and practice law in Veracruz so I am at your disposal. My direct email is: johnleeward@buholegal.com

Hope this helps.

Lic. John Lee Ward
Córdoba, Veracruz

Mexican Law

John Lee Ward